?

period? - Breastfeeding Evangelists

About period?

Previous Entry period? Nov. 4th, 2005 @ 09:15 am Next Entry
Hi. I'm new. My name is Jackie. I'm 23. I have twin boys that are 2 and a newborn. I need to ask about something...

I gave birth to Lucas on the 1st of October. We started breastfeeding right away (there is no formula or bottles in my home even on "stand by" and I am not pumping at all right now either). I remember with my twins I didn't get my period back until after 4 months (we were not exclusively breastfeeding though). After Lucas was born I had post partum bleeding for about two and a half weeks. Then it stopped. Four weeks after his birth I started taking the birth control pill that the midwife prescribed to me that is BF safe. I started taking that Sunday night. Now yesterday I noticed there was a little blood in my panties and when I wiped. Then it went away. Last night I was craving chocolate big time, but wasn't feeling bitchy or anything and then this morning I notice more blood, which is darker in color and more like period blood would be, but I thought when breastfeeding you don't get your period??? If it's not my period then I think I should probably call my midwife, but if it is my period there is nothing to worry about. I'm just a little confused on this...
Leave a comment
[User Picture Icon]
From:hushingdream
Date:November 4th, 2005 02:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The pill can(and will?) bring on your period. It's the hormones that you have just reintroduced into your system. I don't know that much about it except for what I asked the doctor when they handed those nasty things over to me 4 years ago... heh I use Natural Family Planning now. :)

Go ahead and call your midwife. She'd prolly know better than what I don't. :P

Cait
[User Picture Icon]
From:katieshy
Date:November 4th, 2005 04:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
yeah, it's probably your period. I got my first one about 2 months post partum (on the mini pill) and then didn't have it for a few months, then it was pretty regular after that. Many women get their period back while BFing exclusively--I wish I'd been one of the lucky ones who didn't! Every pregnancy (and post partum period) is different because your body is always changing. However, just to be on the safe side and put your mind at ease, give your MW a call. Better safe than sorry! :)

~Katie
[User Picture Icon]
From:tellinellen
Date:November 4th, 2005 07:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
she gave birth on the first of october. any bleeding in the first couple months (or is it seven weeks?) is considered to be more postpartum lochia (normal post partum bleeding). sometimes it comes and goes. if it comes back after being gone, that might mean you are doing a bit too much and should try to take it easy.

as far as the pill -
what hushingdream said is sort of true - bc pills trick your body into thinking that it's pregnant while you're taking the active pills... then when you take the placebo pills (usually day 21-28) your body bleeds - it's not an actual period, but it's your body's response to the fact that it's not getting those pill hormones anymore. however, in the case of the o.p., who just started taking the pill, it's early for this kind of bleeding (although i think people also sometimes get a bit of bleeding when they first start the pill).

some women don't get a period while nursing, some do. i got mine back at 5 mo pp and i don't use bottles or pacis or anything (poor poor me!!!!! ;P)
[User Picture Icon]
From:katieshy
Date:November 4th, 2005 08:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I didn't think to ask how long pp she was..my doc told me that my 2 month pp bleeding was my period pretty much based on the fact that I'd had no bleeding since 1 week pp. :)
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com