?

feritility questions - Breastfeeding Evangelists

About feritility questions

Previous Entry feritility questions Dec. 20th, 2005 @ 10:28 am Next Entry
I know it is possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding.
I also it is possible to get pregnant while on the pill.

I am breastfeeding my son who is 2 1/2 months old. I am on the birth control pill Micronor (sp?) which is safe for breastfeeding. About 6 weeks (a little less) after my son was born and about a week and a half after I started taking the BC pills I got my period back. I know it wasn't post partum bleeding because it came along with chocolate cravings and the usual period symptoms. I have skipped my period this month (or its late) and I know usually when you are breastfeeding you don't get your period. So for me to not get my period while breastfeeding isn't something I'd really think twice about. But I have the concern of getting pregnant again. Call it instinct or intuition if you will, but it's the same way I knew before I actually concieved my kids that I was going to get pregnant. I am trying not to, hence the BC pills.

My questions are -
1. do you know how likely it is to get pregnant while BFing AND being on BC? Has this happened to anyone who might be reading this?
2. and since it is possible to get pg while BFing, if you are not getting regular periods what is the most obvious sign that you are pregnant?
3. isn't it true that when you are pregnant you shouldn't BF? Why is this?

Additionally, if anyone has any good links or knows of any good websites which might have some information on this I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.
Leave a comment
From:venus_in_tweeds
Date:December 20th, 2005 05:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
1)No idea! I would assume that anything is possible, but it's very unlikely

2)I wouldn't count irregular periods as the most obvious sign, my periods came back when my children were a lot lot older but were still very irregular for years. I first knew I was pregnant with my second because my boobs hurt like crazy anytime my son nursed.

3)Not true at all. I breastfed my first continuously through my second pregnancy and tandem nursed afterward. It can be difficult to exclusively nurse a baby under a year when pregnant because of supply issues, but nursing during pregnancy is only contra-indicated if you're at risk of premature labour.
[User Picture Icon]
From:pudgybudgie
Date:December 21st, 2005 01:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
1. it has not happened to me, but there is a member of breastfeeding who is pregnant right now with a micronor baby.
2. obvious sign of pregnancy? For me, it would probably be morning sickness, or gas. I was a farting machine when I was pregnant.
3. It is not true that you can't bf while pregnant--people worry that bfing causes uterine contractions, but they aren't strong enough in a normal pregnancy to cause labor (your uterus has stronger contractions when you have an orgasm, but no body tells you not to have sex during pregnancy until the end). As for your little nursling, your milk does switch over to colostrum at some point, but I dont' know when right off the top of my head.
(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com